Insider's Guide To Successful Document Conversion And Data Migration
Document Scanning Services
We understand how important your records are to you. They preserve history, hold confidential information, represent years of transactions – they're your job – and they cannot be replaced.
We've been a trusted records management company for over 30 years, and we’re here to help.
At some point, every organization – big or small, is going to be faced with the decision:
Is now the time to digitize our records?
Sometimes it’s more cost-effective to maintain paper records, and chances are, if you have a lot of paper records, you’ve got a really great system for archival and retrieval.
Regardless of whether your paper situation is fully under control, or it’s gotten way out of hand, scanning documents adds risks.
Risks Of Scanning
- Where will my scanned documents be stored?
- How do I know if I got them all?
- How will I find records?
- How can I secure sensitive data?
- It's more work to search through my computer than to just go find the file!
- And what happens if I lose the data?
The list goes on and on. We understand.
A New Approach – Data Migration
Data migration is a process to extract important information from your records and insert it into your line of business software, content repository, or file share.
The time is coming when electronic access to information locked away on paper records will either be required by law or the advantage you need to beat out competition.
If you’ve waited to do something with your paper records, now is a better time to act than ever.
- Immediate and organized access to all information
- Full control of confidential information
- Safeguard intellectual property
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
As with any project, there are a lot of variables involved. Here are just some of the factors that affect price:
- Timeline: Do you need data back in days or over the period of months or years?
- Volume: How many total pages are involved?
- Location and Condition of Records: Will records be converted at your facility or shipped out for processing? Are any records damaged or extremely fragile (like old onion skin paper or historical records)?
- Prep required: Are there staples, paper clips, folders, envelopes, etc?
- Specialty documents: Are there photos, sticky notes, seals, certified receipts, spiral or bound books, microform, newspaper clippings, or continuous feed documents (that can be hundreds of feet long), or oversize prints?
- Re-assembly: Will the records be re-assembled in their original condition?
- Indexing: Do you require 100% hard-copy vs digital review or only a percentage?
- Data delivery: How will extracted data and document images be delivered? In what format, and into what system(s)?
- Post project: Will documents be returned, held, or destroyed?
A data migration expert will help create accurate expectations.
HOW TO CHOOSE A VENDOR?
Choosing the right vendor for your project is important. Here are 6 criteria to make an evaluation:
- Years in business: The longer the better. Chances are, you have some very old records, and unless the vendor has been around for a decade or more, they probably haven’t had enough experiences to ensure high-quality results.
- Facility: At a minimum there should be security systems, access control, video monitoring, humidity control, lockable storage, and an inventory control system. Tour the facility and check for paper dust – it’s an easy predictor of quality because paper dust interferes with scanning throughput and quality.
- Compliance: Request proof of Sarbanes Oxley, HIPAA, SOC II, and PCI compliance.
- Scanner technology: Large projects require specialty scanners for your unique document types. There should be many different types of equipment, including micrographics and large format scanners.
- Software technology: Find out what software will be used to process your documents. This software will be responsible for improving document images, and the accuracy of data migration. The software should include features for image processing, optical character recognition (OCR), and diverse integration with other software applications.
- Staff: Because your project will require very high attention to detail, don’t overlook the qualifications and morale of the staff who will be performing the work. They should be excited to work on your project and focused on results.
WHY CHOOSE GRAY HAWK and BIS?
BIS has been digitizing records for over 30 years. We process over 50 million records per year and have the experience, technology, equipment, and staff needed to guarantee results. You don’t have to take our word for it.
“We have records dating back to 1877 that could not be replaced. These documents must be protected to maintain the history as well as many legal requirements. Preserving these records through BIS has provided high quality digital scans and they have restored all my sewn books to pristine condition. Grooper has preserved the integrity of our historic records and enabled me to meet my goal of providing records to the public in less than five minutes per request.”
Butch Scipper, Chancery Clerk, Quitman County, Mississippi
“The quality and efficiency of work and service delivered was more than we could’ve asked for. It’s always been an easy relationship.”
Gena Cowan, HIM Manager, Mercy Hospital
“Space is a premium here, so being able to scan the paper that we no longer need and have that available electronically at a moment’s notice is tremendous value to us. Any time that we can offer up the information quickly and efficiently and accurately, we definitely show return on investment.”
Greg Gann, IT Project Manager, Sedgwick County
A WORLD CLASS FACILITY
Our 400,000 cubic foot data migration center exceeds U.S. and international standards for securing your records. Rigorous audits, training, and controls are in place for the following:
- SOC II Type II
- HIPAA Compliance
- Sarbanes Oxley (SOX)Compliance
- PCI Compliance
- PRISM Privacy+
Our facility is protected with 24/7 access control and 360-degree video surveillance. Humidity is monitored and electronically controlled to be consistent from floor to ceiling in all record storage areas
Locked storage cage options, employee background checks, and federal security clearance ensure the protection of your data.
We provide full chain of custody. Upon arrival, your records are checked into our inventory management system and tracked throughout the entire process.
We provide secured records transportation, storage, and certified destruction.
A WORLD CLASS TEAM
With an average tenure of 4.5 years, and a staff of over 20 employees, we provide the most critical aspect for success. Our people.
Scanning operations are centered around high efficiency workflows. Teams of workers share in a single, efficient process of transforming physical records into the data you require.
Our scanning team celebrates successes, decorates for the holidays, and they enjoy their work.
With a fleet of over 25 modern production-grade scanners, we’re equipped to handle any project. Our equipment selection is based on:
- Highest image quality
- Speed, feed, and ergonomics
- Ease of preventative maintenance (we clean all machines daily)
Scanner brands include InoTec, imbl, Mekel, Nextscan, Zeutschel, Canon, and Colortrac.
WE PROCESS ANY TYPE OF PHYSICAL RECORD
- Microfilm / microfiche / aperture cards, etc.
- CD / DVD
- Bound books
- Large format / blueprint
- Continuous logs
The quality of data migration and digitization of records is dependent on three factors:
- Image processing
- Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
- Intelligent data extraction
We use Grooper, a patented artificial intelligence software platform designed to read and process all forms of physical and electronic documents.
- Image processing: Grooper will enhance document images to the point that they look better than the original. Our scanning process produces crisp, clean, and perfect reproductions.
- OCR: Extracting accurate information from documents requires near-perfect OCR. Because Grooper reads documents like a human, we accurately capture text that is split up by columns, spread throughout tables, inside pictures or stamps, or improperly aligned on the page.
- Intelligent data extraction: Grooper uses artificial intelligence to determine what kind of document it is processing. Then, it extracts the information your project requires, like invoice, matter or case numbers, dates, names, etc. This information is used to classify and name your digital files and is also integrated into your line of business software, document repository, or file share.
Quickly and efficiently outsource complex or time-consuming business processes and workflows.
Oil and Gas Lease Data Analysis - Extract complex data elements and identify value and obligations in new acquisitions.
Non-Operator Oil and Gas Joint Ventures - Remove manual processes from Daily Drilling Reports and Gas Purchase / Percent of Proceeds statements.
Truth-In-Lending Compliance - Identify irregularities and improve customer / member communication.
Explanation of Benefits - Accelerate approvals, reconciliations, and payments.
Transcript Processing - Gather and verify course information for grade point calculations by course, semester, and complete transcript.
Government - Scan paper or ingest digitally filed records to improve search and provide better services to citizens.
- SCHEDULE AN ONSITE OR VIRTUAL TOUR OF OUR FACILITY.
- PROVIDE A REPRESENTATIVE SAMPLE OF YOUR DOCUMENTS.
- COLLABORATE ON DESIRED BUSINESS OUTCOME.
- EXECUTE THE PROJECT.
Now is the time to protect your records with data migration. Start small or go all-in, start now.
Schedule your onsite or virtual tour today.